Paul Njenga Waithaka1*, Francis B. Mwaura1, John M. Wagacha1, Eliud M. Gathuru2, Francis M. Ngumbu2 and Anderson K. Mwangi2
1University of Nairobi, school of biological sciences, P. O. Box, 30197-00100 Nairobi, Kenya
2Egerton University, Department of biological sciences, P. O. Box, 536 Njoro, Kenya
Corresponding author; Paul Njenga Waithaka, Cell; +254 721104637, Email; firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
ABSTRACT A total of 98 soil samples collected from Menengai geothermal site located in Nakuru, Kenya were analyzed for their chemical and microbial components. In region A, phosphorus, sodium, nitrogen and carbon were deficient, region B and C, phosphorus and manganese while in while in D the deficient minerals were phosphorus, sodium, nitrogen and carbon. Toxic minerals were calcium and magnesium in regions A, B, C and D. The most prevalent bacteria were Escherichia coli with a mean of (3.35×107) while the least were Bacillus sp. (1.40×105). Among the fungi, the most dominant were Aspergillus nomius with a mean of 4.42x 104 with the least been Panicillium sacculum (8.09×103). As much as geothermal exploration is important in boosting the country’s energy reserves, there is need to rehabilitate the caldera so as to restore the microbial composition of the region.
Keywords: diversity, crater, geothermal, Menengai, microbial, chemical
- Abdullah M. Al-Dhabaan, K. and Ali H. (2016). Identification of contaminated soil from isolated fungi in Riyadh province. Life Science Journal, 13(2): 123-128.
- Connor, N., Sikorski, J. and Rooney, A. P. (2010) Ecology of speciation in the Genus Bacillus. Applied Environmental Microbiology, 76:1349-1358.
- Commichau, F. M., Pietack, N. and Stu¨ lke, J. (2013). Essential genes in Bacillus subtilis: a re-evaluation after ten years. Molecular Biosystems, 9: 1068–1075. Das, M. and Anitha, S. (2011). Mycoremediatio of moocrotophos, International Journal Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2(1): 337-342.
- Dhiva, S., Jaishanker Pillai, H.P. and Shinde, V. M. (2016). Isolation and characterization of soil microorganisms for potential biocontrol activity. Internatinoal Journal of Current Research in Biological Sciences, 3(3): 26-29.
- Egejuru, A. L., Alessandro, W. D., Tagliavia, M., Parello, F. and Quatrini, P. (2014). Methanotrophic activity and diversity of methanotrophs in volcanic geothermal soils at Pantelleria (Italy). Journal of Biogeosciences, 11: 5865–5875.
- Gagliano, A. L., Alessandro, W. D., Tagliavia, M., Parello, F. and Quatrini, P. (2014). Methanotrophic activity and diversity of methanotrophs in volcanic geothermal soils at Pantelleria (Italy). Journal of Biogeosciences, 11: 5865–5875.
- Galperin, M. Y., Mekhedov, S. L., Puigbo, P., Smirnov, S., Wolf, Y. I. and Rigden, D. J. (2012). Genomic determinants of sporulation in Bacilli and Clostridia: towards the minimal set of sporulation-specific genes. Journal of Environmental Microbiology, 14: 2870–2890.
- Guo, Y., Fujimura, R., Sato, Y, Suda, W., Kim, S., Oshima, K., Hattori, M., Kamijo, T., Narisawa, K. and Ohta, K. (2014). Characterization of Early Microbial Communities on Volcanic Deposits along a Vegetation Gradient on the Island of Miyake, Japan. Journal of Microbes in the Environment, 29 (1):38-49.
- Jasuja, J. L., Kumar, G., Rao, K. V. (2013). Screening of pectinase producing microorganisms from agricultural waste dump soil. Asian Journal of Biochemistryand Pharmaceutical Research 2:329- 337.
- Jugran, J., Rawat, N. and Joshi, G. (2015). Amylase production by Geobacillus sp. GJA1 isolated from a hot spring in Uttarakhand. ENVIS Himalayan ecology, 23: 120-125.
- Karthik, L., Singh, K., Bose, H., Richa, K., Gaurav, K. and Bhaskara, R. (2012). Isolation and characterization of protease producing marine eubacteria. Journal of Agricultural Technology, 8(5): 1633-1649.
- Khursheed, A. W., Rajni, Y., Shivom, S. and Krishan, K. U. (2014). Comparative Study of Physicochemical Properties and Fertility of Soils in Gwalior, Madhya.Pradesh. World Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 10 (2): 48-56.
- Kumar, M., Yadav, A. N., Tiwari, R., Prasanna, R. and Saxena, A. K. 2014. Deciphering the diversity of culturable thermotolerant bacteria from Manikaran hot springs. Annals of Microbiology, 64: 741 -751.
- Mamta J., Rashmi S., A. K. Sharma, K. and Anil, P. (2013). Isolation and characterization of Fusarium oxysporum, a wilt causing fungus, for its pathogenic and non-pathogenic nature in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum). Journal of Applied and Natural Science 5 (1): 108-117.
- Mariita, N. O. (2003). An integrated geophysical study of the northern Kenya rift crustal structure: implications for geothermal energy prospecting for Menengai area. A PhD dissertation, University of Texas at El Paso, USA.
- Martins, L. F., Antunes, L. P., Pascon, R. C., de Oliveira, J. C., Digiampietri, L. A., Barbosa, D., Peixoto, B. M., Vallim, M. A. and VianaNiero (201 3). Metagenomic analysis of a tropical composting operation at the Sa˜o Paulo Zoo Park reveals diversity of biomass degradation functions and organisms. PLoS ONE (8) 619-28.
- Omenda, P. A., Opondo, K., Lagat, J., Mungania, J., Mariita, N., Onacha, S., Simiyu, S., Wetang’ula, G., and Ouma, P. (2000). Ranking of geothermal prospects in the Kenya rift. Kenya Electricity Generating Company Limited, internal report, 121 pp.
- Osakwe, S. A. (2014). Evaluation of Physicochemical Characteristics of Soils in the Flood Disaster Affected Areas of Isoko Region of Delta State, Nigeria. IOSR Journal of Applied Chemistry, 7(5): 24-31.
- Paul Njenga Waithaka, Francis B. Mwaura, John M. Wagacha, Eliud M. Gathuru, Francis M. Ngaumbu and Anderson K. Mwangi Ramanadevi, V., Naik, L. S. and Aruna, K. (2013). Isolation and Biochemical characterization of protease isolated from Bacillus sp SVN12. International Journal of Research in Pure and Applied Microbiology, 3(3): 94-101.
- Rohilla S. K. and Salar R. K. (2012). Isolation and Characterization of Various Fungal Strains from Agricultural Soil Contaminated with Pesticides. Research Journal of Recent Sciences, 1(2): 297-303.
- Sharma, N., Vyas, G. and Pathania, S. (2013). Culturable diversity of thermophilic microorganisms found in hot springs of northern Himalayas and to explore their potential for production of industrially important enzymes. Scholars Academic Journal of Biosciences 1: 165-178.
- Sunita, D. and Kanwar, S. (2016). Deciphering the diversity of aerobic culturable thermophiles in hot springs of Manikaran, Himachal Pradesh. International Journal of Farm Sciences, 6(1): 156-162.
- Umar, M., Akafyi, D., Abdulkarim, I., Yaya, A. A., and Danasabe, Y. (2015). International Journal of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, 4(10): 063-066.
- Umar, M., Yaya, A. A., Yusuf, G., Tafinta, I.Y., Aliko, A.A., Jobbi, D.Y. and Lawal, G. (2016). Biochemical characterization and antimicrobial susceptibility trends of Proteus mirabilis isolated from patients suspected with urinary tract infections attending Sickbay Hospital, Zaria, Kaduna, Nigeria. Annals of Biological Sciences, 4(2):1-8.
- Waithaka, P. N, Muthini M. J. and Kebira A. K. (2015). Physico-chemical Analysis, Microbial Isolation, Sensitivity Test of the Isolates and Solar Disinfection of Water Running in Community Taps and River Kandutura in Nakuru North Sub-county, Kenya. The Open Microbiology Journal, 9: 117-124.