Roziah K1, Kok Shien N1, Farzana M.A1, Siti Fatimah S1, Azura A1
1Civil Engineering Studies, College of Engineering, Universiti Teknologi MARA, Cawangan Pulau Pinang, 13500 Permatang Pauh, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
ABSTRACT. The recent agricultural and industrial waste reduction research has focused on monetary, sustainable environment, and technological considerations. Discarded raw materials such as rice husk ash, fly ash, coir fiber and silica fumes were widely explored and successfully utilized as blending elements for cement. Current studies have proved that Sugarcane Bagasse Ash (SCBA) produced from sugar production has a pozzolanic reaction due to the high substance of amorphous silica in this raw material. This research would boost the insight of potential blending agents that can reduce the cost and stabilize problematic soil. This study intends to evaluate the effect of SCBA blended cement on improved soil’s mechanical properties, including the shear strength and the compressibility of the treated soil. Unconfined Compressive Strength test was conducted to attain the compressive behavior, while the One-Dimensional test was performed to examine the compressibility behavior. The tested samples with SCBA show a beneficial effect in terms of both compressive strength and compressibility. This study proved that SCBA could be applied at least as a partial substitute to the Portland cement.
KEYWORDS. Sugarcane bagasse ash, pozzolanic reaction, compressive strength, compressibility
- Huat, B. B. K., Maail, S., and Mohamed, T. A. (2005) Effect of Chemical on the Engineering Properties of Tropical Peat Soil. American Journal of Applied Sciences, Science Publication, 1113-1120.
- Gueddouda, M. K., Goual, I., Lamara, M., Smaida, A., and Mekarta, B. (2011) Chemical Stabilization of Expansive Clays from Algeria. Global Journal of Researches in Engineering: J General Engineering, 11(5), Ver 1.
- Abu Talib, M. K., Nuriyuki, Y., and Ishikura, R. (2015) Effects of sugarcane bagasse ash (SCBA) on the strength and compressibility of cement stabilized peat. Lowland Technology International, 17(2), 73-82.
- Kishor Kumar, V., Vandhana Devi, V., and Rajan, N. K. (2020) Effect of Sugarcane Bagasse Ash and Cement on the Engineering Properties of Soft Clay Soil. International Journal of Advance Science and Technology, 29(10), 6919-6926.
- Onyelowe, K. C. (2012) Cement stabilized Akwuete lateritic soil and the use of bagasse ash as Admixture. Int. J. Sci. Eng. Investig., 1(2).
- Adhikary, S. and Jana, K. (2016) Potentials of Rice-Husk Ash as A Soil Stabilizer. International Journal of Latest Research in Engineering and Technology (IJLRET), 2(2), 40-48.
- Roy, A. (2014) Soil Stabilization using Rice Husk Ash and Cement. International Journal of Civil Engineering Research, 5(1), 49-54.
- Xiao, H., and Lee, F. (2019). Curing time effect on behavior of cement treated marine clay. Int. J. Eng. Phys. Sci, Vol. 43, 71-78.
- Muhunthan, B., and Sariosseiri, F. (2018) Interpretation of geotechnical properties of cement treated soils (No. WA-RD 715.1). Washington (State). Department of Transportation.
- Reang, R. and Kumar Pal, S. (2019) Strength behaviours of the clayey-silt soil mixed with fly ash and sand. Ground Improvement Techniques and Geosynthetics, 105-113.
- Hakari, U. D., and Puranik, S. C. (2012) Stabilisation of Black Cotton Soils Using Fly Ash. Hubballi-Dharwad Municipal Corporation Area, Karnataka, India. Global Journal of researches in engineering Civil and Structural engineering, 12(2), Version 1.0.
- Chittaranjan, M., Vijay, M., and Keerthi, D. (2011) Agricultural wastes as soil stabilizers. International Journal of Earth Sciences and Engineering, 4(6), 50-51.
- Sarkar, R., Abbas, S. M., and Shahu, J. T. (2012) A comparative study of geotechnical behavior of lime stabilized pond ashes from Delhi region. International Journal on GEOMATE, Japan, 3(1), 273-279
- WBCSD, (2019) Cement Technology Roadmap 2009. World Business Council for Sustainable Development, W.B.C.S.D. France: International Energy Agency, I.E.A.
- Frías, M., Villar-Cociña, E., and Valencia-Morales, E. (2007) Characterisation of sugar cane straw waste as pozzolanic material for construction: Calcining temperature and kinetic parameters. Waste Management, 27, 533-538.
- Rajakumar, C., Meenambal, T., and Arumairaj, P. D. (2014) California bearing ratio of expansive subgrade stabilized with waste materials. International Journal of Advanced Structures and Geotechnical Engineering, 3.
- Muangtong, P., Sujjavanich, S., Boonsalee, S., Poomiapiradee, S., and Chaysuwan, D. (2013) Effects of fine bagasse ash on the workability and compressive strength of Mortars. Chiang Mai Journal of Science, 40(1), 126-134.
- Paula Gisele, L. D. P., Daniel, M., Andrew, H., and Pete, W. (2016) Cement with SCBA as a stabilizer in compressed earth blocks. Terra 2016, 12th World Congress on Earthen Architecture.
- Pachori, C., and Saxena, A. (2019) Stabilization of Subgrade Soil Using Sugarcane Bagasse Ash (SCBA). International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET), 6(12).
- Kamaruidzaman, N. S. Abu Talib, M. K. Alias. Nurul Amirah, Z. Adnan, A. Madun, H. Zainal Abidin Aziman, Z., Hazreek, . A., Md, M. F., and Dan, N. A. (2019) Peat Stabilization by Using Sugarcane Bagasse Ash (SCBA) as a Partial Cement Replacement Materials. International Journal of Integrated Engineering, 11(6), 204-213.
- Mikhail, M., Keramatikerman, M., Chegenizadeh, A., Terzaghi, S., Burns, G., and Nikraz, H. (2020) Influence of Bagasse Ash on Compaction Behvaiour of Soil. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE), 9(5).
- Xu, Q., Ji, T., SJi Gao, Yang, Z., and Wu, N. (2018) Characteristics and Applications of Sugar Cane Bagasse Ash Waste in Cementitious Materials. Materials.
- Keramatikerman, M., Chegenizadeh, A., and Terzaghi, S. (2019) Review on Effect of Sugarcane Bagasse Ash as an Additive in Construction Industry. EJGE, 24, 453-470.
- Abbasi, A and Zargar, A. (2013) Using baggase ash in concrete as pozzolan. Middle East Journal of Scientific Research, 13(6), 716-719.
- Kantinaris, N. (2004) Re-cycling of sugar-ash: a raw feed material for rotary kilns. Waste Management, 24, 999-1004.
- Saini, H., Khatti, J., and Acharya, B. (2019) Stabilization of Black Cotton Soil by Using Sugarcane Bagasse Ash. International Journal of Scientific Research and Review, 7(1), 109-116.
- Kharade, AS., Suryavanshi, V. V., Gujar, B. S., and Deshmukh, R. R. (2014) Waste product Bagasse Ash from Sugar Industry can be used as Stabilizing material for Expansive Soils. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, 3(3), 506-512.
- Abu Talib M. K., and Nuriyuki, Y. (2017) Highly Organic Soil Stabilization by Using Sugarcane Bagasse Ash (SCBA). MATEC Web of Conferences, 103:07013
- Chegenizadeh, A., Keramatikerman, M., Miceli, S., Nikraz, H., and Salih Sabbar, A. (2020) Investigation on Recycled Sawdust in Controlling Sulphate Attack in Cemented Clay. Applied Sciences
- Sharma, T., and Kaushik, R. (2019) Effect of Polypropylene Fiber on Properties of Bagasse Ash-Cement Stabilized Clay Soil. International Journal on Emerging Technologies, 10(2), 255-266.
- Nagataki, S. (1994) Mineral admixtures in concrete: state of the art and trends. Special Publ.
- Joshaghani, A., Ramezanianpour, A. A., and Rostami, H. (2016) Effect of incorporating Sugarcane Bagasse Ash (SCBA) in mortar to examine durability of sulfate attack. International Conference on Concrete Sustainability.
- Khan, S., Kamal, M., and Haroon, M. (2015) Potential of cement treated sugar cane bagasse ash (SCBA) as highway construction Material. Road & Transport Research, 24(3).
- Amu, O. O., Ogunniyi, S. A., and Oladeji, O. O. (2011) Geotechnical properties of lateritic soil stabilized with sugarcane straw ash. American Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 2(2), 323-331. Doi:10.5251/ajsir.2011.2.2.323.331
- Rahman, M. M. A., Rabbi, T. M. Z., and Siddique, A. (2011) Strength and Deformation Characteristics of Cement Treated Soft Bangladesh Clays. Journal – The Institution of Engineers, Malaysia, 72(4).
- Rong-rong, Z. and Dong-dong, M. (2020) Effects of Curing Time on the Mechanical Property and Microstructure Characteristics of Metakaolin-Based Geopolymer Cement-Stabilized Silty Clay. Advances in Materials Science and Engineering.
- Hossain, K. M. A, & Mol, L. (2011) Some engineering properties of stabilized clayey soils incorporating natural pozzolans and industrial wastes. Construction and Building Materials, 25(8), 3495-3501.