Arman Hadi Fikri, Tan Wai Shu, Andrew Wong Bak Hui, Kueh Boon Hee & Sahana Harun
Institute for Tropical Biology and Conservation (ITBC) Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS), Jalan UMS, 88400 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
ABSTRACT. A study on the aquatic invertebrate communities was conducted at Tabin Wildlife Reserve (TWR), Lahad Datu, Sabah, with the objectives to study (i) the diversity of aquatic invertebrates across different land use, (ii) the composition of aquatic invertebrates in different habitats and microhabitats in the stream, and (iii) the relationship between invertebrates and the water quality of the stream. Sampling was done at Sg. Lipad which flows across the secondary forest area and plantation area. Kick net method was used to sample the aquatic invertebrates for 14 continuous days in January to February 2015. A total of 3,579 individuals were sampled consisting of 76 families from eight orders, in both of the land uses. The diversity of aquatic invertebrates in the secondary forest was found to be slightly higher than plantation area with H’= 3.213 and H’= 3.188 respectively. The aquatic invertebrates were also found to be more abundant in riffle habitat, and the least in pool habitats. The diversity for pool habitat, however, was the highest among all other habitats with H’= 3.709. Both physico-chemical parameters and biotic indices indicated that the invertebrate communities were affected by the water quality in the surroundings, and may be used for rapid assessment of water quality at TWR.
- Adusumilli, N. C., Lacewell, R. D., & Woodard, J. D. 2011. Effect of Agricultural Activity on River Water Quality : A Case Study for the Lower Colorado River Basin. In Southern Agricultural Economics Association 2011 Annual Meeting.
- Ansah, Y. B., Frimpong, E. A., & Amisah, S. 2012. Biological assessment of aquaculture effects on effluent-receiving streams in Ghana using structural and functional composition of fish and macroinvertebrate assemblages. Environmental Management. 50(1):166–180. Arizona Department of Environmental Quality. 2015. Implementation procedures For the narrative bottom deposits standard.
- Barbour, M. T., Gerritsen, J., Snyder, B. D., & Stribling, J. B. 1999. Rapid Bioassessment Protocols for Use in Streams and Wadeable Rivers: Periphyton, Benthic Macroinvertebrates, and Fish (2nd ed.). Washington: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Basin, B. V., & Denham, J. 2011. A Comparison of Aquatic Insect Sampling Tools. Nucla High School. Nucla High School.
- Bonada, N., Rieradevall, M., Prat, N., & Resh, V. H. 2006. Benthic macroinvertebrate assemblages and macrohabitat connectivity in Mediterranean-Climate streams of Northern California. Journal of the North American Benthological Society. 25(1): 32-43.
- Bouchard, R. W. Jr. 2004. Guide to aquatic invertebrates of the upper Midwest. Water Resources Centre, University of Minnesota, St. Paul.
- Braun, B. M., Vanesa, A., Salvarrey, B., Kotzian, C. B., Spies, M. R., & Pires, M. M. Diversity and distribution of riffle beetle assemblages (Coleoptera, Elmidae) in montane rivers of Southern Brazil. Biota Neotropica. 14(2): 1-11.
- Burghelea, C. I., Zaharescu, D. G., Hooda, P. S., & Palanca-Soler, A. 2011. Predatory aquatic beetles, suitable trace elements bioindicators. J Environ Monit. 13(5):1308– 1315.
- Carbonell, J. A., Millán, A., Gutiérrez-Cánovas, C., Bruno, D., Abellán, P., & Velasco, J. 2011. Ecological factors determining the distribution and assemblages of the aquatic Hemiptera (Gerromorpha & Nepomorpha) in the Segura River Basin (Spain). Limnetica. 30(1): 0059-70.
- Compson, Z. G., Adams, K. J., Edwards, J. A., Maestas, J. M., Whitham, T. G., & Marks, J. C. 2013. Leaf litter quality affects aquatic insect emergence: contrasting patterns from two foundation trees. Oecologia. 173(2): 507-519.
- Che Salmah, M. R., Al-Shami, S. A., Madrus, M. R., & Ahmad, A. H. 2013. Local effects of forest fragmentation on diversity of aquatic insects in tropical forest streams: implications for biological conservation. Aquatic Ecology. 47(1):75–85.
- Che Salmah, M. R., Amelia, Z. S., & Abu Hassan, A. 2001. Preliminary Distribution of Ephemeroptera , Plecoptera and Trichoptera ( EPT ) in Kerian River Basin , Perak , Malaysia. Pertanika Journal of Tropical Agricultural Science. 24(2):101–107. Department of Natural Resources. 2008. Stream monitoring. Illinois, United States. Department of Statistics Malaysia. 2013. Compendium of Environment Statistics.
- Dudgeon, D., Arthington, A. H., Gessner, M. O., Kawabata, Z.-I., Knowler, D. J., Lévêque, C., Lévêque, C ., Naiman, R. J., Prieur-Richard, A. H., Soto, D., Stiassny, M. L. J., & Sullivan, C. a. 2006. Freshwater biodiversity: importance, threats, status and conservation challenges. Biological Reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society. 81(2):163–82. Fikri, A. H. 2004. Composition and distribution of aquatic insects in Tabin Wildlife Reserve
(TWR), Lahad Datu, Sabah. Thesis. Universiti Malaysia Sabah.
- Fikri, A. H. & Mohamed, M. 2003. Aquatic insects of Tabin Wildlife Reserve (Limestone Area). In Menno, S. & Mahedi, A. (Eds.) Tabin Limestone Scienctific Expedition. Kota Kinabalu: Universiti Malaysia Sabah.
- Glastris, C. L., Grace, M. L., Heath, S. R., & Leslie, P. S. 2001. Aquatic insects diversity as an indicator of water quality in the Quebrada Guacimal. Darthmouth Undergraduate Journal of Science. 4(1): 35-38.
- Goldburg, R., & Triplett, T. 1997. Murky waters: environmental effects of aquaculture in the US. In Environment Defense Fund. Goldstein, R. E. 2011. Effectiveness of Macroinvertebrate-based Biotic Indexes in Assessing
Stream Water Quality in Sycamore Creek, IN. 2011.
- Hartmann, A. 2007. Compilation of the most relevant identification literature for the HKH region.
- In O. Moog, D. Hering, S. Sharma, I. Stubauer, & T. Korte (Eds.). Proceedings of the Scientific Conference Rivers in the Hindu Kush-Himalaya. Vienna: Assess-HKH project.
- Harun, S., Mohamed, M., Fikri, A. H., & Jimmy, E. O. 2010. Aquatic insects comparison between three streams of Maliau Basin. Journal of Tropical Biology and Conservation. 6: 103-107.
- Helfrich, L. A., Neves, R. J., & Parkhurst, J. 2009. What Is Aquatic Biodiversity; Why Is it Important? In Sustaining America’s Aquatic Biodiversity. Virginia Cooperative Extension.
- Jach, M. A., & Balke, M. 2008. Global diversity of water beetles (Coleoptera) in freshwater. Hydrobiologia. 595(1): 419-442.
- Karr, J. R., & Chu, E. W. 2000. Sustaining living rivers. Hydrobiologia. 422-423:1–14. Khamis, K., Hannah, D. M., Clarvis, M. H., Brown, L. E., Castella, E., & Milner, A. M. 2013. Alpine aquatic ecosystem conservation policy in a changing climate. Environmental Science & Policy. 43:39–55.
- Kleine, P. A. N. D. & Trivinho-Strixino, S. 2005. Chironomidae and other aquatic macroinvertebrates of a first order stream: community response after habitat fragmentation. Acta Limnologica Brasiliensia 17(1): 81 -90.
- Kottelat, M. 2002. Aquatic Systems: Neglected Biodiversity Terrestrial Ecoregions of the Indo-Pacific. In Terrestrial Ecoregions of the Indo-Pacific: A Conservation Assessment.
- Lento, J., Dillon, P. J., & Somers, K. M. 2012. Evaluating long-term trends in littoral benthic macroinvertebate communities of lakes recovering from acid deposition. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 184(12): 7175-7187.
- Linke, S., Turak, E., & Nel, J. 2011. Freshwater conservation planning: the case for systematic approaches. Freshwater Biology. 56(1):6–20.
- Mandaville, S. M. 2002. Benthic macroinvertebrates in freshwaters: Taxa tolerance values,
metrics, and protocols (Vol. 128). Nova Scotia: Soil & Water Conservation Society of Metro Halifax.
- Magurran, A. E. 2005. Measuring biological diversity. Hoboken: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Menetrey, N., Sager, L., Oertli, B., & Lachavanne, J. B. 2005. Looking for metrics to assess the trophic state of ponds. Macroinvertebrates and amphibians. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems. 15(6), 653-664.
- Menninger, H. L. & Palmer, M. A. 2007. Herbs and grasses as an allochthonous resource in open canopy headwater streams. Freshwater Biology. 52(9): 1689-1699.
- Michaud, J. P. 1994. A citizen’s guide to understanding and monitoring lakes and streams. Washington: Department of Ecology.
- Müllner, A. N. & Schagerl, M. 2003. Abundance and vertical distribution of the phytobenthic community within a pool and riffle sequence of an alpine gravel stream. International Review of Hydrobiology. 88(3‐ 4): 243-254.
- Oliveira, V., Martins, R., & Alves, R. Evaluation of water quality of an urban stream in southeastern Brazil using Chironomidae larvae (Insecta: Diptera). Neotropical Entomology. 39(6): 873-878.
- Peterson, E. E., Sheldon, F., Darnell, R., Bunn, S. E., & Harch, B. D. 2011. A comparison of spatially explicit landscape representation methods and their relationship to stream condition. Freshwater Biology. 56:590–610.
- Ricciardi, A., & Rasmusse, J. B. 1999. Extinction Rates of North American Freshwater Fauna. Conservation Biology. 13(5):1220–1222.
- Roche, K. F., Queiroz, E. P., Righi, K. O., & Souza, G. M. De. 2010. Use of the BMWP and ASPT indexes for monitoring environmental quality in a neotropical stream. Acta Limnologica Brasiliensia. 22(01):105–108.
- Principe, R. E. 2008. Taxonomic and size structures of aquatic macroinvertebrate assemblages in different habitats of tropical streams, Costa Rica. Zoological Studies. 47(5): 525-534.
- Sala, O. E., & Jackson, R. B. 2006. Determinants of biodiversity change: ecological tools for building scenarios. Ecology. 87:1875–1876.
- Scardi, M., Tancioni, L., & Cataudella, S. 2006. Monitoring methods based on fish. In G. Ziglio, M. Siligardi, & G. Flaim (Eds.). Biological Monitoring of rivers; applications and perspectives. NewJersey: Wiley.
- Shayeghi, M., Vatandoost, H., Gorouhi, A., Sanei-Dehkordi, A. R., Salim-Abadi, Y., Karami, M., Jalil-Navaz, M. R., Akhavan, A. A., Shiekh, Z., Vatandoost, S., & Arandian, M. H. 2014. Biodiversity of aquatic insects of zayandeh roud river and its branches, Isfahan Province, Iran. Journal of arthropod-borne diseases. 8(2): 197.
- Song, M. Y., Leprieur, F., Thomas, A., Lek-Ang, S., Chon, T. S., & Lek, S. 2009. Impact of agricultural land use on aquatic insect assemblages in the Garonne river Catchment (SW France). Aquatic Ecology. 43(4): 999-1009.
- Strayer, D. L., & Dudgeon, D. 2010. Freshwater biodiversity conservation: recent progress and future challenges. J N Am Benthol Soc. 29:344–358. Theischinger, G., and New, T. R. 1993. Handbook of Zoology: A Natural History of the Phyla of the Animal Kingdom. (4th ed.). New York: Walter de Gruyter & Inc.
- Thorne, R. S., & Williams, W. P. 1997. The response of benthic macroinvertebrates to pollution in developing countries: a multimetric system of bioassessment. Freshwater Biology. 37(3):671–686.
- Tucker, C. S., Boyd, C. E., & Hargreaves, J. A. 2002. Characterization and management of effluents from warmwater aquaculture ponds. In Aquaculture and the environment in the united states. U.S. Aquaculture Society.
- Tyson, W. 2000. Advancing toward “Eden.” Conservation Biology. 4(1):r6. Woodward, G., Perkins, D. M., & Brown, L. E. 2010. Climate change and freshwater ecosystems: impacts across multiple levels of organization. Philosophical
Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 365(1549):2093–2106.
- World Wildlife Fund Malayisa. 1986. Tabin Wildlife Reserve, Sabah: A Preliminary Management Plan Report. p. 112.
- Yule, C. M. & Gomez, L. N. 2009. Leaf litter decomposition in a tropical peat swamp forest in Peninsular Malaysia. Wetlands Ecology and Management. 17(3):231–241.
- Yule C.M. & Yong H.S. 2004. Freshwater Invertebrates of the Malaysian Region. Kuala Lumpur: Akademi Sains Malaysia
- Zeybek, M., Kalyoncu, H., Karakaş, B., & Özgül, S. 2014. The use of BMWP and ASPT indices for evaluation of water quality according to macroinvertebrates in Değirmendere Stream (Isparta, Turkey). Turkish Journal of Zoology. 38:603–613