Azmizam Manie @ Mani *, Saafie Salleh, Fuei Pien Chee, Afishah Alias & Saturi Baco
Faculty of Science and Natural Resources, Universiti Malaysia Sabah,
Jalan UMS, 88400 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, MALAYSIA.
*Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel: +6 014 874 1296
ABSTRACT. This paper described the fabrication of Zinc Oxide (ZnO)-Cuprous Oxide (Cu2O) heterojunction thin films using RF-powered Magnetron Sputtering System. The deposition parameters were controlled to produce the films with the thicknesses in the range of 100 nm to 500 nm. During deposition, the RF power and the argon flow are fixed at 100 Watt and 10 sccm, respectively. Structural and optical properties were studied by X-Ray Diffraction Method and UV-VIS Spectrometer. The electrical properties were studied by IV SourceMeter. The grain sizes of both thin films increasing while the thickness increase. The band gap of ZnO thin films range from 3.25 eV -3.27 eV and for Cu2O thin films range from 2.00 eV – 2.15 e V. All Cu2O/ZnO thin films show ideal diode properties.
KEYWORDS: ZnO, Cu2O, thin film, heterojunction device
- Craciun, V., Elders, J., Gardeniers, J.G.E., Geretovsky, J. & Boyd, I.W. Thin solid films 259 (1995) 1-4.
- Dong, R., Lee, D. S., Xiang, W.F., Oh, S. J., Seoung, D. J., Heo, S. H. & Hwang, H. Journal Applied Physic Letter 90 042107 (2007).
- Ghotbi, M. Y. “Nickel doped zinc oxide nanoparticles produced by hydrothermal decomposition of nickel-doped zinc hydroxide nitrate,” Particuology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 492–496, Aug. 2012.
- Ievskaya, Y., Hoye, R. L. Z., Sadhanala, A., Musselman, K. P. & MacManus-Driscoll, J. L. “Fabrication of ZnO/Cu2O heterojunctions in atmospheric conditions: Improved interface quality and solar cell performance,” Solar Energy Material Solar Cells, vol. 135, pp. 43–48, 2014.
- Lee, Y. S., Buonassisi, T. & Hardt, D. E. “Defect Engineering of Cuprous Oxide Thin-Films for Photovoltaic Applications,” 2013.
- LI, J., Vizkelethy, G., Revesz, P. & Mayer, J. W. Journal Applied Physic 69 1020 (1991).
- Mittiga, A., Salza, E., Sarto, F., Tucci, M. & Vasanthi, R. “Heterojunction solar cell with 2% efficiency based on a Cu2O substrate,” Appied Physic Letter, vol. 88, no. December 2005, pp. 2005–2006, 2006.
- Nam, T., Lee, C. W., Kim, H. J. & Kim, H. “Growth Characteristics and Properties of Ga-doped ZnO (GZO) Thin Films Grown by Thermal and Plasma-enhanced Atomic Layer Deposition,” Applied Surface Science, pp. 2–7, Jan. 2014.