Hairul Hafiz Mahsol1*, Norizzah Zainuddin2, Noor Farniza Habib Abdullah2 & Abdul Hamid Ahmad1
1Institute for Tropical Biology & Conservation, Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Jalan UMS,
84000 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia. 2School of Science & Technology, Universiti
Malaysia Sabah Jalan UMS, 84000 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia.
ABSTRACT. A survey of fishes of the Kinabatangan River was conducted to determine the fish types, abundance and prevalence of parasitic infection. The fishes were collected with gill nets in two distinct areas, named Abai and Bilit. Eleven fish species in ten genera and ten families were encountered. The family Ariidae formed 36.3% of the total number of individuals (n=80) while the rest were Pangasiidae (15%), Siluridae (11.3%), Cyprinidae (10%), Engraulidae (7.5%), Bagridae (6.3%), Toxotidae (6.3%), Sciaenidae (3.8%), Megalopidae (2.5%) and Clariidae (1.3%). Both ectoparasites and endoparasites especially intestinal helminth were recorded. The ectoparasite infestation rate was 45% whereas the endoparasite remain only 17.5%. The overall parasitic infection rate was more than half of sample (53.8%).This preliminary data indicated that almost halfof the population of fishes from these areas could be exposed to parasitic infection.
KEYWORDS. Infection, Parasites, Fishes, Kinabatangan River.
- Awharitoma, A.O & Okaka, C.E. 1999. Observation on the cichlid fishes in Ikpoba river and their parasitic infection. The Nigerian Journal of Parasitology. 20: 129-137.
- Hila Bu, S. S., & Leong, T. S. 1997. Fish parasite communities in tropical reservoirs along Perak River, Malaysia. Hydrobiologia, 356, 175-181
- Kottelat, M., A. J. Whitten, S. N. Kartikasari & S. Wirjoatmodjo, 1993. Freshwater Fishes of Western Indonesia and Sulawesi. Hong Kong, Periplus Editions. 221 pp.
- Lee Y.H., Lee N.C., Robert B.S. & Mani O., 2006. The Water Quality of Several Oxbow Lakes in Sabah, Malaysia and its Relation to Fish Fauna Distribution. Journal of Biological Sciences, 6: 365-369.
- Lim, K. K. P. & A. Wong, 1994. Fishes of the Kinabatangan basin, Sandakan district, Sabah, East Malaysia. Sabah Museum Journal, 1: 39-71.
- Okaka, C.E, & Omoigberale, O.M 2002. Parasites of fishes of Okhuaihe River Edo State. African Scientist 3(1) : 1 -2.
- Okaka, C.E. 1991. A survey into Helminth parasites of fishes of Asa river and its dam at Ilorin, Nigeria. Journal of Experimental and Applied Biology. 3: 120-128.
- Onwuliri, C.O.E. and Mgbemena, M.O. 1987. The Parasitic fauna of some freshwater fish from Jos Plateau, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Applied Fisheries Hydrobiology 2:33-37.
- Rahman, W. A., & Ali, A. 1991. Helminthic fauna of some freshwater fish caught from two habitats in Pulau Langkawi, Kedah. Trop. Biomed., 8, 23-26.
- Rahman, W. A., Ali, A., & Ros, A. C. 1992. On some Helminthic parasites of the Malayan catfish, Clarias batrachus in pond cultures from north Malaysia. Trop. Biomed., 9, 1 -2.
- Rahman, W. A., & Bakri, M. 2008. On the endoparasitic fauna of some paddy field fishes from Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia. Journal of Bioscience, 19, 107-112.
- Shaharom, F., Kartini, M., & Sheikh Omar, A. R. 1992. Boviena serialis infestation in the catfish Clarias macrocephalus. J. Vet. Malaysia, 4(2), 151.
- Ugwuzor, G.A. 1987. A survey of the helminthic parasites offish in Imo River. Nigerian Journal of Applied Fisheries and Hydrobiology. 225-30.
- Umuoeren, N.A., Onwuliri, C.O.E & Anadu, D.I. 1988. Comparative studies in Endohelminth parasites of cultural and in cultured fish from Plateau State. Nigeria Journal of Applied Fisheries and Hydrobiology. 3: 45-48.
- Yoshiba, K. 1964. Report of the preliminary survey on the orang-utan in North Borneo. Primates. 5(1-2), 11-26.