Ismail Abd Rahim
Natural Disasters Research Centre, Faculty of Science and Natural Resources, Universiti
Malaysia Sabah, Jalan UMS, 88400 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Phone: 088 320000 (5734/5999)
Fax: 088 435324
ABSTRACT. Geomechanical classification scheme for heterogeneous Crocker Formation in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah has been proposed in 2009 and known as Modified Slope Mass Rating (M-SMR). M-SMR was used to characterize and to propose preliminary rock cut slope design such as slope stabilization and protection measures and recommendation levels for design model review and slope remapping by suitable engineering geologist or geotechnical
engineers. The ‘Lithological unit thickness’ approach, RQD method, weighted average of discontinuity set spacing, weighted average, statistical mode and new approach of adjustment factor (NAAF) methods were used to evaluate the parameters in M-SMR. The classes in MSMR scheme consists of class I (very good) to class VI (extremely bad). Local trimming, slope re-profiling, weep hole, horizontal drainage, concrete dentition or buttress, rock bolting or dowel, wire mesh or rope nets, reinforce shotcrete and benching are proposed slope stabilization and protection measures. Normal to detailed Design Model Review (DMR) and slope remapping are recommended to highly recommended by engineering geologist or geotechnical engineers to expert engineering geologist or geotechnical engineers for class I to class VI, respectively.
KEYWORDS: Geomechanical classification, Modified Slope Mass Rating (M-SMR), Crocker Formation, Kota Kinabalu, slope design.
- Anbalagan, R., Sharma, S. & Tarun, R. 1992. Rock mass stability evaluation using modified SMR approach. Proceeding of the Sixth National Symposium on Rock Mechanics, Bangalore, India, pp. 258-268.
- Bieniawski, Z. T. 1989. Engineering Rock Mass Classifications. Wiley, New York, 248 p.
- Harrison, J. P. & Hudson, J. A. 2000. Engineering Rock Mechanics: Illustrative worked examples. Elsevier Science, Oxford, 530 pp.
- Ismail Abd Rahim, Sanudin Hj. Tahir, Baba Musta, & Shariff A. K. Omang. 2012. Adjustment factor for Slope Mass Rating (SMR) system: Revisited. Proceeding of National Geoscience Conference 2012 (NGC2012), Kuching, Sarawak.
- Ismail Abd Rahim, Sanudin Tahir & Baba Musta. 2009a. Modified Slope Mass Rating (MSMR) system: A classification scheme of interbedded Crocker Formation in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia. Proceeding of the 8th Seminar on Science and Technology 2009 (S&T2009), Tuaran, Sabah.
- Ismail Abd Rahim, Sanudin Tahir, Baba Musta & Shariff A. K. Omang. 2009b. Lithological unit thickness approach for determining Intact Rock Strength of slope forming rock material of Crocker Formation. Borneo Science, 25, pp. 23-31. ISSN 1394-4339.
- Ismail Abd Rahim. 2011. Rock mass classification of the Crocker Formation in Kota Kinabalu for rock slope engineering purpose, Sabah, Malaysia. PhD Thesis, Universiti Malaysia
Sabah, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.
- Pantelidis, L. 2009. Rock slope stability assessment through rock mass classification systems. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 46, pp. 315-325.
- Romana, M. 1 985. New adjustment rating for application of Bieniawski classification for slopes. Proceeding of International Symposium on the Role of Rock Mechanics,
Zacatecas, Mexico, pp 49-53.
- Romana, M. 1993. A geomechanical classification for slope:slope mass rating. In: Hudson, J. A. (Ed.). Comprehensive Rock Engineering. Pergamon Press, Oxford, pp. 575-599.
- Sanudin Tahir & Baba Musta. 2007. Pengenalan Kepada Stratigrafi. Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.
- Singh, B. & Geol, R. K. 1999. Rock Mass Classification: A Practical Approach in Civil Engineering. Elsevier, Oxford, 267 p.
- Tomas, R., Cuenca, A., Cano, M. & Garcia-Barba, J. 2012. A graphical approach for slopemass rating (SMR). Engineering Geology 124, pp. 67-76.
- Tongkul, F. 1991. Tectonic evolution of Sabah, Malaysia. Journal of Southeast Asian Earth Science 6, pp. 395-495.
- Van Hattum, M. W. A. 2003. Provenance of northern Borneo sediments. Proceeding of the Twenty-ninth Annual Petroleum Convention & Exhibition, Jakarta, Indonesian.
- Yu, Y. F., Siu, C. K. & Pun, W. K. 2005. Guidelines on the use of prescriptive measures for rock cut slopes. GEO Report No. 161, Hong Kong Geotechnical Engineering Office, 31p.