Russel Felix Koiting*, Ejria Saleh, John Madin, Than Aung & Fazliana Mustajap
Borneo Marine Research Institute,
Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Jalan UMS, 88400 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia.
*Contact person: Emai: email@example.com
ABSTRACT. Mantanani Besar Island is one of the community and tourism islands in the west coast of Sabah. It is inhabited by local Ubian people which stated that the island receiving major problem of erosion around the island. Ocean motion (waves and currents) and winds causes the erosion and together with seasonal monsoons change the intensity and formation of waves, winds and the periodic storms. These combinations intensified the geomorphic processes of erosion and accretion along the shoreline. Therefore, the objectives of this study are to determine the beach morphologies (beach profile, volume and angle) and sediment parameters during pre- and post- southwest monsoon (SWM). This study was conducted on May and November 2013 in order to see the beach changes done before and after the peak 2013 SWM (May to September). Beach profiles were measured at 5 stations around the island. Further measurements on beach volume and angle were calculated based on the beach profile readings. Sediment samples were collected at mid tide and analyzed the sediment parameters (mean, sorting, skewness and kurtosis). Results show most of the beach profile increase in post-SWM than in pre-SWM. Significant changes of the beach elevation were found at northern part of the island (st 4 and st 5). Beach volume increases in most of the station with a range from 2.71 to 9.19 while only st 3 experienced sediment loss with -0.75 Beach angle are also increase at most of the station (1 o) but significantly increase at st 5 (4.62o). Based on the sediment size analysis, mean values are decreasing shows the increase of energy condition. Most of the sediment are moderately sorted and positively skewness. The kurtosis value are vary indicates the presence of other source of sorting. The information gathered on this study is useful for the development along the beach and future management plan of the island.
KEYWORDS: beach profile and angle, sediment characteristics, shoreline changes, Mantanani Besar Island
- Ali, T. A. 2010. Analysis of shoreline changes based on the geometric representation of the shorelines in the GIS data. Journal of Geography and Geospatial Information Science, 1: 1-16.
- Berita Harian. 2013. Taufan Haiyan Yang Terkuat Di Dunia Mula Melanda Filipina, Bawa Kesan Buruk Kepada Negeri Sabah. http://berita-harian.net/berita/taufan-haiyanyang- terkuat-di-dunia-mula- melanda-filipina-bawa-kesan-buruk-kepadanegeri-sabah/ (Accessed on 17 November 2013).
- Blott, S. J. & Pye, K. 2001. GRADISTAT: A Grain Size Distribution And Statistics Package For The Analysis Of Unconsolidated Sediments. Journal of Earth Surface Process and Landforms, 26: 1237 – 1248.
- Briggs, D. 1977. Source and methods in geography: Sediments. Butterworth and Co. (Publ.) Ltd. London
- De Lange, W. 2012. ‘Coastal erosion – Shifting sands’, Te Ara – the Encyclopedia of New Zealand. http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/coastal-erosion/page-1 (Accessed on 16 November 2013).
- DHI, 2013. Sabah Island Management Plan. Volume 2: Island Management Strategies. pp 5-1 – 5-5.
- Diman, C. P. & Tahir, W. 2012. Dam Flooding Caused A Prolonged Flooding. International Journal of Civil & Environmental Engineering, 12: 71 – 75.
- Morphologies Changes during Pre- and Post- Southwest Season in Mantanani Besar Island, Kota Belud
- Dora, G. U. Kumar, V. S. Johnson, G. Philip C. S. Vinayaraj, P. & Gowthaman, R. 2011. Textural characteristics of foreshore sediments along Karnataka shoreline, west coast of India. International Journal of Sediment Restoration, 26: 364 – 377.
- Dora, G. U. Kumar, V. S. Johnson, G. Philip C. S. & Vinayaraj, P. 2012. Short-Term Observation ofBeach Dynamics Using Cross-Shore Profiles and Foreshore Sediment. Journal of Ocean Coastal Management, 67: 101 – 112.
- Duane, D. B. 1964. Significance of skewness in recent sediment, Western Pamlico Sound. North Carolina. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, 34: 864 – 874.
- Dyer, K. R. 1985. Coastal and Estuarine Sediments Dynamics. Institute of Oceanographic Science. Tuaton.
- Folk, R. L. & Ward, W. C. 1957. Brazos River Bar: A Study in The Significance of Grain Size Parameters. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, 27: 3 – 26.
- Friedman, G. M. 1962. On Sorting, Sorting Coefficients and the Log Normality of The Grain-Size Distribution of Sandstones. Journal of Geology, 70: 737 – 753.
- Ganesh, B. Naidu, A. G. S. S. Rao, M. J. Karuna, T. K. & Avatharam, P. 2013. Studies on textural charateristics of sediments from Gosthani River Estuary-Bheemunipatnam, A. P., East Coast of India. Journal of Ind. Geophys. Union, 17: 139 – 151.
- Jamil, T. Norsila, D. & Ashraf, A. 2009. Distribution of Sediment Characteristic in Kilim River Estuary During the Non-Moonsoon and Monsoon Season. pp 381-387. http://www.academia.edu/797941/Distribution_of_Sediment_Characteristic_in_Kilim_River_Estuary_during_the_Non-Monsoon_and_Monsoon_Season (Accessed on 16 November, 2013).
- Kumar, G. AL.Ramanathan, & Rajkumar, K. 2010. Textural characteristics of the surface sediments of a Tropical mangrove ecosystem Gulf of Kachchh, Gujarat, India. Journal of Marine Science, 39: 415 – 422.
- Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia). 2013. Monsoon.
http://www.met.gov.my/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=69&Itemid=160&lang =english (Accessed on 17 November 2013).
- Maps of World, 2013. Areas Affected by Typhoon Haiyan / Yolanda. http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-news/super-typhoon-haiyan/ (Accessed on 17 November 2013).
- Masselink, G. & Kroon, A. nd. Morphology and morphodynamics of sandy beaches. Coastal Zones and Estuaries. Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems (EOLSS). http://www.eolss.net/EolsssampleAllChapter.aspx (Accessed on 18 November 2013).
- Mohd Lokman, H. Rosnan, Y. & Shahbudin, S. 1995. Beach erosion variability during a Northeast Monsoon: The Kuala Setiu Coastline, Terngganu, Malaysia. Journal of Science and Technology,3: 337 – 348.
- Nakajima, R. Yoshida, T. Bin, H. R. O. & Toda, T. 2015. Monsoonal changes in the planktonic copepod community structure in a tropical coral-reef at Tioman Island, Malaysia. Regional Studies in Marine Science. Elsevier.
- Okeyede, I. C. & Jibiri, N. N. 2013. Grain size analysis of the sediments from Ogun River, South Western Nigeria. Journal of Earth Science Research, 2: 43 – 51.
- Poh Leem, C. & Monique, S. 2012. Collaborative Environmental Monitoring Report of Mabul Island Semporna, Malaysia. WWF – Malaysia.