Nur Syamimi Zainudin* and Zaihasra Azis
1Faculty of Applied Sciences, Universiti Teknologi MARA Pahang, Jengka Campus,
26400 Bandar Tun Abdul Razak Jengka, Pahang, Malaysia
* Corresponding author. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ABSTRACT. Ascorbic acid, also known as Vitamin C cannot be synthesized by humans. Ascorbic acid is commonly found in a variety of vegetables and fruits such as mangoes, oranges, broccolis and lettuce. Hence, vegetables and fruits become the main sources of ascorbic acid to meet dietary intake. The differential pulse anodic stripping voltammetry (DPASV) technique using glassy carbon electrode (GCE) as a working electrode and phosphate buffer at pH 4.2 as a supporting electrolyte has been proposed for ascorbic acid determination in natural and commercial fruit juices. The optimum instrumental conditions for electroanalytical determination of ascorbic acid by the proposed DPASV technique were initial potential (Ei) = 0 V, end potential (Ef)= 0.8 V, accumulation time (tacc) = 60 s, scan rate (v) = 0.125 V/s and pulse amplitude = 0.150 V. The anodic peak appeared at 0.3598 V. The curve was linear from 0.028 to 1.703 mM (R2=0.9999) with a detection limit of 0.0114 mM. The precisions in terms of relative standard deviation (RSD) were 1.30%, 0.50% and 0.06%, respectively. The ruggedness of the proposed DPASV technique was tested with statistical F-test. Satisfactory recoveries ranging from 73.65±1.70% to 101.93±1.65% were obtained for three different known concentrations of AA in the fruit juice samples. It can be concluded that the proposed technique is precise, accurate, rugged, low cost, fast and has the potential to be an alternative method for routine analysis of ascorbic acid in natural and commercial fruit juices.
KEYWORDS: Ascorbic Acid, Commercial Fruit Juice, Glassy Carbon Electrode, Voltammetry
- Aabraha, T. & Sargawie, A. (2014). Assessment of some selected Beverages and Fresh Edible Vegetables as Nutritional Source of Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) by Cyclic and Square Wave Voltammetry. International Journal of Science and Engineering Investigation 26(3): 39-49.
- Bergamini, M.F., Santos, D.P. & Zanoni, M.V.B. (2010). Determination of Major and Minor Elements in through ICP-AES. Environmental Engineering and Management Journal 7(6): 805-808.
- De Lima, F., Gozzi, F., Fiorucci, A.R., Cardoso, C.A.L., Arruda, G.J. & Ferreira, V.S. (2011). Determination of linuron in water and vegetable samples using stripping voltammetry with carbon paste electrode. Talanta 83:1763-1768.
- Dioha, I.J., Olugbemi, O., Onuegbu, T. & Shahru, Z. (2011). Determination of some tropical fruits by iodometric titration. International Journal of Biological and Chemical Sciences 5(5): 2180-
- Farahi, A., Lahrich, S., Achak, M., El Gaini, L., Bakasse, M. & El Mhammedi, M. A. (2014). Parameters affecting the determination of paraquat at silver rotating electrodes using differential pulse voltammetry. Analytical Chemistry Research 1: 16-21.
- Gazdik, Z., Zitka, O., Petrlova, J., Adam, V., Zehnalek, J., Horna, A., Reznicek, V., Beklova, M. & Kizek, R. (2008). Determination of Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) Using High Performance Liquid Chromatography Coupled with Electrochemical Detection. Sensors 8: 7097–7112.
- Geremedhin, W., Amare, M. & Admassie, S. (2013). Electrochemically pretreated glassy carbon electrode for electrochemical detection of fenitrothion in tap water and human urine. Electrochimica Acta 87: 749 – 755.
- Jain, R. & Rather, J.A. (2011). Stripping voltammetry of tinidazole in solubilized system and biological fluids. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 378: 27-
- Jain, R. & Sharma, S. (2012). Glassy carbon electrode modified with multi-walled carbon nanotubes sensor for the quantification of antihistamine drug pheniramine in solubilized systems. Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis 2(1): 56-61.
- Klimczak, I. & Gliszczy´nska-Swigło, A. (2015). Comparison of UPLC and HPLC methods for determination of vitamin C. Food Chemistry 175: 100–105.
- Liamas, N.E., Nezio, M.S. & Band, B.S.F. (2011). Flow-injection spectrophotometric method with on line photodegradation for determination of ascorbic acid and total sugars in fruit juices. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 24: 127-130.
- Okiei, W., Ogunlesi, M., Azeez, L., Obakachi, V., Osunsansi, M. & Nkenchar, G. (2009). The Voltametric and Titrimetric Determination of Ascorbic Acid Levels in Tropical Fruit Samples. International Journal of Electrochemical Science 4: 276-287.
- Miranda, M. P., del Rio, R., del Valle, M. A., Faundez, M. & Armijo, F. (2012). Use of fluorine-doped tin oxide electrodes for lipoic acid determination in dietary supplements. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry 668: 1 – 6.
- Morris, J.R., Bates, R.P. & Philip, G.G. (2001). Principles and Practices of small and medium scale fruit juice processing. United State.
- Ngai, K.S, Tan, W.T, Zulkarnain, Z., Ruzniza, M.Z. & Mohammed, Z. (2013). Voltammetry Detection of Ascorbic Acid at Glassy Carbon Electrode Modified by Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube/Zinc Oxide. International Journal of Electrochemical Science 8: 10557-10567.
- Nur Syamimi, Z., Norbaitina, S. & Megat, A.K.M.H. (2020). Validation and Determination of Ascorbic Acid in Multivitamin Tablets by Differential Pulse Anodic Stripping Voltammetric Technique at a Bare Glassy Carbon Electrode. Malaysian Journal of Analytical Science 24 (6): 838-847.
- Nur Syamimi, Z., Mohamad Hadzri, Y. & Noor Zuhartini, M.M. (2016). Voltammetric determination of Reactive Black 5 in waste water samples from the batik industry. Malaysian Journal of Analytical Science 20: 1254-1268.
- Nweze, C.C., Abdulganitu, M.G & Erhabor, O.G. (2015). Comperative analysis of vitamin C in fresh fruit juices of Malusdomestica, Citrus Sinensi, AnanasComosus and CitrullusLanatus by Iodometric titration. International Journal of Science 4(1): 17-22.
- Ogunlesi, M., Okiei, W., Azeez, L., Obakachi, V., Osunsanmi, M. & Nkenchar, G. (2010). Vitamin C Contents of Tropical Vegetables and Food Determined by Voltammetric and Titrimetric Methods and Their Relevance to the Medical Uses of the Pants. International Journal of Electrochemical Sciences 5: 105-115.
- Packer, L., and Fuchs, J. Vitamin C in health and disease. Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York, Basel, Hong Kong 1997.
- Pisoschi, A.M., Pop, A., Negulescu, G.P. & Pisoschi, A. (2011). Determination of Ascorbic Acid Content of Some Fruit Juices and Wine by Voltammetry Performed at Pt and Carbon Paste Electrodes. Molecules 16: 1349-1365.
- Radi A.E., Nassef, H.M. & El Basiony, A. (2011). Electrochemical behaviour and analytical determination of Reactive Red 231 on glassy carbon electrode. Dyes and Pigments 99: 924-
- Raghu, V., Platel, K. & Srinivason, K. (2007). Comparison of Ascorbic Acid Content of Some Fruit Juices and Wine by Voltammetry Performed at Pt and Carbon Paste Electrodes. Molecules 16:1349-1365.
- Sadia, G., Azizuddin., Rafi, A., Kousar, Y., Fareed, A. & Iftekhar, S. (2014). Determination of Ascorbic Acid Content of Some Capsicum Cultivars by Cyclic Voltammetry performed at GCE by External Standard Series Calibration Method. International Journal of Electrochemical Science 9: 5751-5762.
- Sezgin, H., V., Dilgin, Y. & Gokcel, H., I. (2016). Adsorption and deposition-assisted anodic stripping voltammetry for determination of antimony (III) in presence of hematoxylin on glassy carbon electrode. Talanta 164: 677-683.
- Sona, S., Jiri, M., Jiri, S., Mojmir, B., Jindrich, K. & Tunde, J. (2015). Determination of Ascorbic Acid by Electrochemical Techniques and other Methods. International Journal of Electrochemical Science 10: 2421-2431.
- Skrovanko, S., Micek, J., Sochar, J., Baron, M, M Kynicky, J. & Jurikova, T. (2015). Determination of ascorbic acid by Electrochemical Technique and other methods. International Journal of Electrochemical Sciences 10: 2421-2431.
- Tareen, H., Mengal, F., Masood, Z., Mengal, R., Ahmed, S., Bibi, S., Shoaib, S., Sami, U., Mandokhail, F., Riaz, M., Farhan, N & Nawaz, Z. (2015). Determination of vitamin c content in Citrus Fruits and in Non-Citrus Fruits by Titrimetric Method with Special Reference to their nutritional importance in human diet. Biological Forum-An International Journal 7(2): 367-
- Tyagi, G., Jangir, D.K., Singh, R., Mehrotra, R., Ganaseran, R. & Gopal, E.S.R. (2014). Rapid determination of main constituents of packed juices by reverse phase-high performance liquid chromatography: an insight in to commercial fruit drinks. Journal of Food Science and Technology 51(3): 476–484.
- Valente, A., Albuquerque, T.G., Ana, S.S. & Costa, H.S. (2011). Ascorbic acid content in exotic fruits. A contribution to produce quality data for food composition database. Food Research International 44: 2237-2242.
- Yilmaz, S., Sadikoglu, M., Saglikoglu, G., Yagmur, S. & Askin, G. (2008). Determination of Ascorbic Acid in Tablet Dosage Forms and Some Fruit Juices by DPV. International Journal of Electrochemical Science 3: 1534-1542.
- Zhang, Y., Zhou, W., Yan, J., Liu, M., Zhou, Y., Shen, X., Ma, Y., Feng, X., Yang, J. & Li, G. (2018). A review of the extraction and determination methods of thirteen essential vitamins to the human body: An update from 2010. Molecules 23: 1-25.