Carla Goncalves De Olievera Sarmento1 , Mohd Hardyianto Vai Bahrun1,**, Jidon Janaun1 ,
Awang Bono2,*, Duduku Krishnaiah3
1Chemical Engineering Programme, Faculty of Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Jalan UMS,
88400 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
2GRISM Innovative Solutions, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
3Department of Chemical Engineering, Anurag University, Hyderabad, Telangana 500088, India
*Corresponding author. E-mail: email@example.com
**Corresponding author. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
ABSTRACT. Fragrant rice is known to contain the aromatic compound of 2-Acetyl Pyrroline (2-AP). This compound has been known as a major compound that gives fragrant characteristics in rice. However, this compound is volatile and easily escapes from the rice upon the drying process. In order to recover the release of 2-AP from rice upon drying, a packed bed adsorption system is employed using treated agricultural waste as a solid adsorbent. The experimental adsorption study in a batch mode for 2-AP onto treated rice husk char (TRHC) was used as a case study for this present work. Influences of three operational parameters towards the dynamic adsorption of 2-AP onto TRHC in a packed bed column were investigated by measuring the breakthrough and saturation time and mass transfer zone. This study suggests the possibility of treated agricultural waste as an alternative to capture the lost 2-AP during the paddy drying process.
KEYWORDS. Adsorption; Aromatic rice; Breakthrough curve; Treated rice husk; Simulation
- Ahmed, S., Unar, I. N., Khan, H. A., Maitlo, G., Mahar, R. B., Jatoi, A. S., Memon, A. Q., & Shah, A. 1.(2020). Experimental study and dynamic simulation of melanoidin adsorption from distillery effluent. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 27(9), 9619–9636.
- AspenONE. (2009). AspenONE v7.3 Reference Guide. AspenTech Inc.
- Bahrun, M. H. V., Kamin, Z., Anisuzzaman, S. M., & Bono, A. (2021). Assessment of Adsorbent for Removing Lead (Pb) Ion in an Industrial-Scaled Packed Bed Column. Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 16(2), 1213–1231.
- Baradi, M. A. U., & Elepano, A. R. (2012). Aroma Loss in Rice as Affected by Various Conditions during Postharvest Operations. Philippine Agricultural Scientist, 95(3), 260–266.
- Bono, A. (1989). Sorptive Separation of Simple Water Soluble Organics (Doctoral dissertations, University of Surrey, Guildford, United Kingdom). Retrieved from https://openresearch.surrey.ac.uk/esploro/outputs/doctoral/Sorptive-Separation-of-Simple Water-Soluble-Organics/99511759402346#files_and_links
- Coker, A. K. (2007). Ludwig’s Applied Process Design for Chemical and Petrochemical Plants (4th ed.). Gulf Professional Publishing. da Rosa, C. A., Ostroski, I. C., Gimenes Meneguin, J.,
- Gimenes, M. L., & Barros, M. A. S. D. (2015). Study of Pb2+ adsorption in a packed bed column of bentonite using CFD. Applied Clay Science, 104, 48–58.
- Fuller, E. N., Schettler, P. D., & Giddings, J. C. (1966). A new method for prediction of binary gas phase diffusion coefficients. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 58(5), 18–27. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie50677a007
- Glueckauf, E. (1955). Theory of chromatography. Part 10: Formulae for diffusion into spheres and their application to chromatography. Transactions of the Faraday Society, 51, 1540–1551.
- Green, D. W., & Perry, R. H. (2008). Perry’s Chemical Engineers’ Handbook (8th ed). The McGraw Hill Companies, Inc.
- Hanafy, H., Sellaoui, L., Thue, P. S., Lima, E. C., Dotto, G. L., Alharbi, T., Belmabrouk, H., Bonilla -
- Petriciolet, A., & Lamine, A. Ben. (2019). Statistical physics modeling and interpretation of the adsorption of dye remazol black B on natural and carbonized biomasses. Journal of Molecular Liquids, 299, 112099.
- Hien, N. L., Yoshihashi, T., Sarhadi, W. A., & Hirata, Y. (2006). Sensory Test for Aroma and Quantitative Analysis of 2-Acetyl-1-Pyrroline in Asian Aromatic Rice Varieties. Plant Production Science, 9(3), 294–297. https://doi.org/10.1626/pps.9.294
- Hymavathi, D., & Prabhakar, G. (2019). Modeling of cobalt and lead adsorption by Ficus benghalenesis L. in a fixed bed column. Chemical Engineering Communications, 206(10), 1264–1272.
- Jangde, V., Umathe, P., Antony, P. S., Shinde, V., & Pakade, Y. (2019). Fixed-bed column dynamics of xanthate-modified apple pomace for removal of Pb(II). International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 16(10), 6347–6356.
- Kongkiattikajorn, J. (2008). Effect of Storage Time and Temperature on Volatile Aroma Compounds and Physicochemical Properties of Rice. Kasetsart Journal – Natural Science, 42, 111–117.
- Nadaf, A. B., Krishnan, S., & Wakte, K. V. (2006). Histochemical and biochemical analysis of major aroma compound (2-acetyl-1-pyrroline) in basmati and other scented rice (Oryza sativa L.). Current Science, 91(11), 1533–1536.
- Sarmento, C. G. D. O. (2021). Adsorption of 2-Acetyl-1-Pyrroline (2-AP) by Using Rice Husk Chars (Unpublished master’s thesis). Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Sabah, Malaysia.
- Suzuki, M., & Kawazoe, K. (1975). Effective Surface Diffusion Coefficients of Volatile Organics on Activated Carbon during Adsorption from Aqueous Solution. Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan, 8(5), 379–382. https://doi.org/10.1252/jcej.8.379
- Tan, W.-H., Bahrun, M. H. V., Surugau, N., & Bono, A. (2020). Evaluation of Adsorption Dynamic Retention of Copper Ion in Porous Agricultural Soil. Transactions on Science and Technology, 7(3), 90–100.
- Yoshihashi, T., Huong, N. T. T., Surojanametakul, V., Tungtrakul, P., & Varanyanond, W. (2005). Effect of Storage Conditions on 2-Acetyl-1-pyrroline Content in Aromatic Rice Variety, Khao Dawk Mali 105. Journal of Food Science, 70(1). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365- 2621.2005.tb09061.x