N. Murshid1, A.Z. Yaser1*, M. Rajin1, S. Saalah1, J. Lamaming1, M. Taliban2
1 Chemical Engineering Programme, Faculty of Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Sabah
2 Persatuan Pemborong dan Peruncit Sayur Bumiputera Kundasang, Sabah
Corresponding author : Abu Zahrim Yaser , Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
email@example.com (N. Murshid)
Received 13th November 2021; accepted 22nd November2021
Available online 20th May 2022
ABSTRACT. Composting is considered agronomically, ecologically, and practically beneficial, with the end product being an organic fertilizer or soil conditioner rich in nutrients for the soil. This study aims to investigate the effects of adding chicken manure (CM) to vegetable waste (VW) and rice husk (RH) composting. This is a pioneering study on Kundasang composting, as well as addressing the vegetable waste problem in the community. The composting process was studied for 20 days in a 37-L laboratory composter reactor box with passive aeration. Four mixtures were investigated, each with a VW: RH (1:2) ratio and a different additive of CM (0%, 1%, 2.5% and 5%). The composting process’s performance shows that Mix-3 (2.5 % CM) is ideal compared to other mixtures, with the highest temperature achieved at 41ºC as early as day 1, resulting in a 28.12% organic matter (OM) loss. The OM loss value results show that Mix-3 (28.12%) > Mix-2 (26.14%) > Mix-1 (16.55%) >Mix-4 (13.33%). The maximum temperature reached was 41ºC, and the Mix-3(41.3ºC)>Mix-1(41.1ºC)>Mix-2(41.0ºC)>Mix-4(40.7ºC) and decreasing near to ambient. The reduction percentage shows Mix-3 (13.92%) > Mix-2 (13.45%) > Mix-4 (9.24%) > Mix-1 (8.93%). Thus, with the optimum addition of chicken manure, the degradation is reflected in the high moisture content reduction rate. In conclusion, using CM as an additive has a significant impact on composting VW.
- Abubakari, A.-H., Banful, B. K. B., & Atuah, L. 2019. Standardizing the Quality of Composts Using Stability and Maturity Indices: The Use of Sawdust and Rice Husks as Compost Feed Stocks. American Journal of Plant Sciences. 10(12):2134–2150.
- Abu-Zahra, T. R., Ta Any, R. A., & Arabiyyat, A. R. 2014. Changes in Compost Physical and Chemical Properties during Aerobic Decomposition. International Journal Current Microbiology Applied Science. 3(10).
- Ahmad, A., Khan, N., Giri, B. S., Chowdhary, P., & Chaturvedi, P. 2020. Removal of methylene blue dye using rice husk, cow dung and sludge biochar: Characterization, application, and kinetic studies. Bioresource Technology. 306.
- N. Murshid, A.Z. Yaser, M. Rajin, S. Saalah, J. Lamaming, M. Taliban Ajmal, M., Aiping, S., Awais, M., Ullah, M. S., Saeed, R., Uddin, S., Ahmad, I., Zhou, B., & Zihao, X. 2020. Optimization of pilot-scale in-vessel composting process for various agricultural wastes on elevated temperature by using Taguchi technique and compost quality assessment. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. 140:34–45.
- Awasthi, S. K., Duan, Y., Liu, T., Zhang, Z., Pandey, A., Varjani, S., Awasthi, M. K., & Taherzadeh, M. J. 2020. Can biochar regulate the fate of heavy metals (Cu and Zn) resistant bacteria community during the poultry manure composting? Journal of Hazardous Materials. 124593.
- Barthod, J., Rumpel, C., & Dignac, M.F. 2018. Composting with additives to improve organic amendments. A review Composting with additives to improve organic amendments. A review. Agronomy for Sustainable Development. 38(2):1–23.
- Bernal, M. P., Alburquerque, J. A., & Moral, R. 2009. Composting of animal manures and chemical criteria for compost maturity assessment. A review. Bioresource Technology. 100(22): 5444–5453.
- Bernal, M. P., Sommer, S. G., Chadwick, D., Qing, C., Guoxue, L., & Michel, F. C. 2017. Current Approaches and Future Trends in Compost Quality Criteria for Agronomic, Environmental, and Human Health Benefits. In Advances in Agronomy. 144:143–233.
- Bhatia, A., Ali, M., & Sahoo, J. 2012. Microbial diversity during rotary drum and windrow pile composting. Journal Basic Microbiol. 52(52), 5–15.
- Bhatia, A., Ali, M., Sahoo, J., Madan, S., Pathania, R., Ahmed, N., & Kazmi, A. A. 2012. Microbial diversity during Rotary Drum and Windrow Pile composting. Journal of Basic Microbiology. 52(1): 5–15.
- Bian, B., Hu, X., Zhang, S., Lv, C., Yang, Z., Yang, W., & Zhang, L. 2019. Pilot-scale composting of typical multiple agricultural wastes: Parameter optimization and mechanisms. Bioresource Technology. 287,121482.
- Chan, M. T., Selvam, A., & Wong, J. W. C. 2016. Reducing nitrogen loss and salinity during “struvite” food waste composting by zeolite amendment. Bioresource Technology. 200:838–844.
- Chang, R., Li, Y., Chen, Q., Gong, X., & Qi, Z. 2020. Effects of carbon-based additive and ventilation rate on nitrogen loss and microbial community during chicken manure composting. PLoS ONE. 15(9).
- Cheng, H., & Hu, Y. 2010. Municipal solid waste (MSW) as a renewable source of energy: Current and future practices in China. Bioresource Technology. 101(11):3816–3824.
- Chia, W. Y., Chew, K. W., Le, C. F., Lam, S. S., Chee, C. S. C., Ooi, M. S. L., & Show, P. L. 2020. Sustainable utilization of biowaste compost for renewable energy and soil amendments. Environmental Pollution. 267(115662).
- Dayananda S, H., & Shilpa S, B. 2020. Vertical In-Vessel Composter for Stabilization of Market Vegetable Waste. International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology (IJEAT).
- de Bertoldi, M., Vallini, G., & Pera, A. 1983. The Biology of Composting: A Review. In Waste Management & Research. 1(2): 157–176).
Department of Statistics Malaysia Official Portal. (2020). Vegetable Waste Composting: A Case Study in Kundasang, Sabah
- Du, X., Tao, Y., Li, H., Liu, Y., & Feng, K. 2019. Synergistic methane production from the anaerobic co-digestion of Spirulina platensis with food waste and sewage sludge at high solid concentrations. Renewable Energy. 142:55–61.
- Eklind, Y., & Kirchmann, H. 2000. Composting and storage of organic household waste with different litter amendments. II: Nitrogen turnover and losses. Bioresource Technology. 74(2), 125–133.
- Fernández-Gómez, M. J., Romero, E., & Nogales, R. 2010. Feasibility of vermicomposting for vegetable greenhouse waste recycling. Bioresource Technology. 101(24):9654–9660.
- Gao, M., Li, B., Yu, A., Liang, F., Yang, L., & Sun, Y. 2010. The effect of aeration rate on forced-aeration composting of chicken manure and sawdust. Bioresource Technology. 101(6), 1899–1903.
- García-Gómez, A., Bernal, M. P., & Roig, A. 2003. Carbon mineralisation and plant growth in soil amended with compost samples at different degrees of maturity. Waste Management and Research. 21(2), 161–171.
- Ghinea, C., & Leahu, A. 2020. Monitoring of fruit and vegetable waste composting process: Relationship between microorganisms and physico-chemical parameters. Processes. 8(3):302.
- Guo, R., Li, G., Jiang, T., Schuchardt, F., Chen, T., Zhao, Y., & Shen, Y. 2012. Effect of aeration rate, C/N ratio and moisture content on the stability and maturity of compost. Bioresource Technology. 112: 171–178.
- Huang, G. F., Wu, Q. T., Wong, J. W. C., & Nagar, B. B. 2006. Transformation of organic matter during co-composting of pig manure with sawdust. Bioresource Technology. 97(15): 1834–1842.
- Hwang, H. Y., Kim, S. H., Kim, M. S., Park, S. J., & Lee, C. H. 2020. Co-composting of chicken manure with organic wastes: characterization of gases emissions and compost quality. Applied Biological Chemistry. 63(1).
- Insam, H., & de Bertoldi, M. 2007. Chapter 3: Microbiology of the composting process. Waste Management Series. 8: 25–48.
- Irvan, Husaini, T., Trisakti, B., Batubara, F., & Daimon, H. 2018. Composting of empty fruit bunches in the tower composter-effect of air intake holes. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 309(1).
- Ismayana, A., Siswi Indrasti, N., Maddu, A., & Fredy, A. 2012. Factors Of Initial C/N And Aeration Rate In Co-Composting Process Of Bagasse And Filter Cake. In Aris Fredy Jurnal Teknologi Indonesia Pertanian. 22: 3.
- Jara-Samaniego, J., Pérez-Murcia, M. D., Bustamante, M. A., Paredes, C., Pérez-Espinosa, A., Gavilanes-Terán, I., López, M., Marhuenda-Egea, F. C., Brito, H., & Moral, R. 2017. Development of organic fertilizers from food market waste and urban gardening by composting in Ecuador. PLoS ONE. 12(7).
- N. Murshid, A.Z. Yaser, M. Rajin, S. Saalah, J. Lamaming, M. Taliban Jeong, K. H., Kim, J. K., Ravindran, B., Lee, D. J., Wong, J. W. C., Selvam, A., Karthikeyan, O. P., & Kwag, J. H. 2017. Evaluation of pilot-scale in-vessel composting for Hanwoo manure management. Bioresource Technology. 245(Pt A): 201–206.
- Kazamias, G., Roulia, M., Kapsimali, I., & Chassapis, K. 2017. Innovative biocatalytic production of soil substrate from green waste compost as a sustainable peat substitute. Journal of Environmental Management. 203(670–678).
- Klamer, M., & Baath, E. 2006. Microbial community dynamics during composting of straw material studied using phospholipid fatty acid analysis. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. 27(1): 9–20.
- Li, D., Chen, L., Liu, X., Mei, Z., Ren, H., Cao, Q., & Yan, Z. 2017. Instability mechanisms and early warning indicators for mesophilic anaerobic digestion of vegetable waste. Bioresource Technology. 245:90–97.
- Li, M. X., He, X. S., Tang, J., Li, X., Zhao, R., Tao, Y. Q., Wang, C., & Qiu, Z. P. 2021. Influence of moisture content on chicken manure stabilization during microbial agent-enhanced composting. Chemosphere. 264:128549.
- Li, Y., Li, W., Liu, B., Wang, K., Su, C., & WuA, C. 2013. Ammonia emissions and biodegradation of organic carbon during sewage sludge composting with different extra carbon sources. Biodegradation International Biodeterior. 85: 62.
- Liu, D., Zhang, R., Wu, H., Xu, D., Tang, Z., Yu, G., Xu, Z., & Shen, Q. 2011. Changes in biochemical and microbiological parameters during the period of rapid composting of dairy manure with rice chaff. Bioresource Technology. 102(19): 9040–9049.
- Liu, L., Wang, S., Guo, X., Zhao, T., & Zhang, B. 2018. Succession and diversity of microorganisms and their association with physicochemical properties during green waste thermophilic composting. Waste Management. 73(10).
- Liu, X., Gao, X., Wang, W., Zheng, L., Zhou, Y., & Sun, Y. 2012. Pilot-scale anaerobic co-digestion of municipal biomass waste: Focusing on biogas production and GHG reduction. Renewable Energy. 44:463–468.
- Luangwilai;, T., Sidhu;, H., & Nelson, M. 2018. Understanding effects of ambient humidity on self-heating of compost piles | Chemeca 2018. Chemeca 2018.
- Malakahmad, A., Idrus, N. B., Abualqumboz, M. S., Yavari, S., & Kutty, S. R. M. 2017. In-vessel co-composting of yard waste and food waste: an approach for sustainable waste management in Cameron Highlands, Malaysia. International Journal of Recycling of Organic Waste in Agriculture. 6(2):149–157.
- Mehta, C. M., Palni, U., Franke-Whittle, I. H., & Sharma, A. K. 2014. Compost: Its role, mechanism and impact on reducing soil-borne plant diseases. Waste Management. 34(3), 607–622.
- Nadia, N., Yaacob, F., Manaf, L. A., & Hanan, Z. 2019. Quantifying The Organic Waste Generated From The Fresh Market In Kundasang Town, Sabah. Journal of the Malaysian Institute of Planners. 17(2):112–122.
- Plazzotta, S., Manzocco, L., & Nicoli, M. C. 2017. Fruit and vegetable waste management and the challenge of fresh-cut salad. Trends in Food Science and Technology. 63:51–59. Vegetable Waste Composting: A Case Study in Kundasang, Sabah
- Qasim, W., Moon, B. E., Okyere, F. G., Khan, F., Nafees, M., & Kim, H. T. 2019. Influence of aeration rate and reactor shape on the composting of poultry manure and sawdust. Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association. 69(5), 633–645.
- Rajin, M., Yaser, A. Z., Saalah, S., Jagadeson, Y., & Duraim, M. A. 2019. The effect of enzyme addition on the anaerobic digestion of foodwaste. In Green Engineering for Campus Sustainability. 119–131.
- Rawoteea, S. A., Mudhoo, A., & Kumar, S. 2017. Co-composting of vegetable wastes and carton: Effect of carton composition and parameter variations. Bioresource Technology. 227:171–178.
- Reyes-Torres, M., Oviedo-Ocaña, E. R., Dominguez, I., Komilis, D., & Sánchez, A. 2018. A systematic review on the composting of green waste: Feedstock quality and optimization strategies. In Waste Management. 77:486–499.
- Rich, N., Bharti, A., & Kumar, S. 2018. Effect of bulking agents and cow dung as inoculant on vegetable waste compost quality. Bioresource Technology. 252, 83–90.
- Saalah, S., Rajin, M., Yaser, A. Z., Azmi, N. A. S. A., & Mohammad, A. F. F. 2019. Foodwaste composting at faculty of engineering, Universiti Malaysia Sabah. In Green Engineering for Campus Sustainability. 173–191. Springer Singapore.
- Shou, Z., Yuan, H., Shen, Y., Liang, J., Zhu, N., & Gu, L. 2017. Mitigating inhibition of undissociated volatile fatty acids (VFAs) for enhanced sludge-rice bran composting with ferric nitrate amendment. Bioresource Technology. 244: 672–678.
- Sudharsan Varma, V., & Kalamdhad, A. S. 2014. Stability and microbial community analysis during rotary drum composting of vegetable waste. International Journal of Recycling of Organic Waste in Agriculture. 3(2).
- Suhartini, S., Wijana, S., S Wardhani, N. W., & Muttaqin, S. 2020. Composting of chicken manure for biofertiliser production: a case study in Kidal Village, Malang Regency Composting of chicken manure for biofertiliser production: a case study in Kidal Village, Malang Regency. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science. 524(012016).
- Tang, D. Y. Y., Khoo, K. S., Chew, K. W., Tao, Y., Ho, S. H., & Show, P. L. 2020. Potential utilization of bioproducts from microalgae for the quality enhancement of natural products. Bioresource Technology. 304.
- Tratsch, M. V. M., Ceretta, C. A., da Silva, L. S., Ferreira, P. A. A., & Brunetto, G. 2019. Composition and mineralization of organic compost derived from composting of fruit and vegetable waste. Revista Ceres. 66(4):307–315.
- Tripetchkul, S., Pundee, K., Koonsrisuk, S., & Akeprathumchai, S. 2012. Co-composting of coir pith and cow manure: initial C/N ratio vs physico-chemical changes. International Journal Of Recycling Of Organic Waste In Agriculture. 1(15): 1-8.
- Troy, S. M., Nolan, T., Kwapinski, W., Leahy, J. J., Healy, M. G., & Lawlor, P. G. 2012. Effect of sawdust addition on composting of separated raw and anaerobically digested pig manure. Journal of Environmental Management. 111, 70–77.
- Wei, L., Shutao, W., Jin, Z., & Tong, X. 2014. Biochar influences the microbial community structure during tomato stalk composting with chicken manure. Bioresource Technology. 154, 148–154.
- m, M., & Kazmi, A. A. 2009. Rotary drum composting of vegetable waste and tree leaves. Bioresource Technology. 100(24): 6442–6450.
- Yaser, A. Z. 2019. Green engineering for campus sustainability. In Green Engineering for Campus Sustainability. Springer Singapore.
- Yaser, A. Z., Rahman, R. A., & Kali, M. S. 2007. Co-composting of palm oil mill sludge-sawdust. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. 10(24):4473–4478.
- Zahrim, A., Sariah, S., Mariani, R., Azreen, I., Zulkiflee, Y., & Fazlin, A. 2019. Passive Aerated Composting Of Leaves And Predigested Office Papers. Research Methods and Applications in Chemical and Biological Engineering.
- Zhang, L., & Sun, X. 2016. Improving green waste composting by addition of sugarcane bagasse and exhausted grape marc. Bioresource Technology. 218: 335–343.
- Zhang, L., & Sun, X. 2016. Influence of bulking agents on physical, chemical, and microbiological properties during the two-stage composting of green waste. Waste Management. 48: 115–126.
- Zhang, L., & Sun, X. 2017. Using cow dung and spent coffee grounds to enhance the two-stage co-composting of green waste. Bioresource Technology. 245:152–161.
- Zhang, L., & Sun, X. 2018. Evaluation of maifanite and silage as amendments for green waste composting. Waste Management. 77:435–446.
This work is supported financially by grant SDK0102-2019 from Universiti Malaysia Sabah