Charissa J. Wong1, Daniel James1, Normah A. Besar1 and Mui-How Phua1*
1Faculty of Science and Natural Resources,
Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Kota Kinabalu 88400 Sabah, Malaysia
Corresponding author; Mui-How Phua, Telephone Number: +60 (0)88 320000,
ABSTRACT. Mangroves are one of the most productive forest ecosystems and play an important role in carbon storage. We examined the use of Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) data to estimate mangrove Above-ground Biomass (AGB) in Sabah, Malaysia. SRTM-DEM can be considered as Canopy Height Model (CHM) because of the flat coastal topography. Nevertheless, we also introduced ground elevation correction using a Digital Terrain Model (DTM) generated with GIS and coastal profile data. We mapped the mangrove forest cover using Landsat imagery acquired in 2015 with the supervised classification method (Kappa coefficient of 0.81). Regression analyses of field AGB and the CHMs resulted in an estimation model with the corrected CHM as the best predictor (R2: 0.73) and cross-validated Root Mean Square Error (RMSE) was 19.70 Mg ha-1 (RMSE%: 11.60). Our study showed Sabah has a mangrove cover of 268,631.91 ha with a total AGB of 44,163,207.07 Mg in 2015. This substantial amount of carbon storage should be monitored over time and managed as part of the climate change mitigation strategy.
KEYWORD. Mangroves, SRTM-DEM, Landsat, Above-ground Carbon, Borneo.
- Aslan, A., Rahman, A.F., Warren, M.W. and Robeson, S.M. (2016). Mapping spatial distribution and biomass of coastal wetland vegetation in Indonesian Papua by combining active and passive remotely sensed data. Remote Sensing of Environment 183:65-81.
- Basuki, T.M., Van Laake, P.E., Skidmore, A.K. and Hussin, Y.A. (2009). Allometric equations for estimating the aboveground biomass in tropical lowland Dipterocarp forests. Forest Ecology and Management 257(8):1684-1694.
- Chandra, I.A., Seca, G. and Abu Hena, M.K. (2011). Aboveground Biomass production of Rhizophora apiculata blume in Sarawak mangrove forest. American Journal of Agricultural and Biological Sciences 6(4):469-474. DHI Water and Environment. (2005). Sabah shoreline management plan.
- DHI Water and Environment, Kota Kinabalu. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). (2007). Brief on national forest inventory (NFI): Malaysia. FAO, Rome.
- Faridah-Hanum, I., Kudus, K.A. and Saari, N.S. (2012). Plant diversity and biomass of Marudu Bay mangroves in Malaysia. Pakistan Journal of Botany 44:151-156.
- Fatoyinbo, T.E., Simard, M., Washington-Allen, R.A. and Shugart, H.H. (2008). Landscape-scale extent, height, biomass, and carbon estimation of Mozambique’s mangrove forests with Landsat ETM+ and Shuttle Radar Topography Mission elevation data. Journal of Geophysical Research 113:G02S06.
- Fatoyinbo, T.E. and Amstrong, A.H. (2010). Remote Characterisation of Biomass Measurements: Case Study of Mangrove Forests. In Momba MNB (ed) Biomass. IntechOpen, Sciyo, pp 65-78.
- Fatoyinbo, T.E., Feliciano, E.A., Lagomasino, D., Lee, D.K. and Trettin, C. (2018). Estimating mangrove aboveground biomass from airborne LiDAR data: a case study from the Zambezi Delta. Environmental Research Letters 13:025012.
- Fayad, I., Baghdadi, N., Guitet, S., Bailly, J.S., Herault, B., Gond, V., El Hajj, M. and Minh, D.H.T. (2016). Aboveground biomass mapping in French Guiana by combining remote sensing, forest inventories and environmental data. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 52:502-514.
- Giri, C., Ochieng, E., Tieszen, L.L., Zhu, Z., Singh, A., Loveland, T., Masek, J. and Duke, N. (2011). Status and distribution of mangrove forests of the world using earth observation satellite data. Global Ecology and Biogeography 20:154-159.
- Kanniah, K.V., Sheikhi, A., Cracknell, A.P., Hong, C.G., Kian, P.T., Chin, S.H. and Rasli, F.N. (2015). Satellite images for monitoring mangrove cover changes in a fast growing economic region in Southern Peninsular Malaysia. Remote Sensing 7:14360-14385.
- Kauffman, J.B., Heider, C., Cole, T.G., Dwire, K.A. and Donato, D.C. (2011). Ecosystem carbon stocks of Micronesian Mangrove Forests. Wetlands 31:343-352.
- Kirui, K.B., Kairo, J.G., Bosire, J., Viergever, K.M., Rudra, S., Huxham, M. and Briers, R.A. (2013). Mapping of mangrove forest land cover change along the Kenya coastline using Landsat Imagery. Ocean Coastal and Management 83:19-24.
- Kugler, F., Schulze, D., Hajnsek, I. Papathanassiou, K.P. (2014). TanDEM-X Pol-InSAR performance for forest height estimation. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing.
- Lagomasino, D., Fatoyinbo, T., Lee, S., Feliciano, E., Trettin, C. and Simard, M. (2016). A comparison of mangrove canopy height using multiple independent measurements from land, air and space. Remote Sensing 8:327.
- Pham, L.T.H. and Brabyn, L. (2017). Monitoring mangrove biomass change in Vietnam using SPOT images and an object-based approach combined with machine learning algorithms. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 128:86-97.
- Sabah Forestry Department (SFD). (2016). Sabah Forestry Department Annual Report 2015. Sabah Forestry Department, Sandakan ISSN 1823-0954.
- Saenger, P. and Snedaker, S.C. (1993). Pantropical trends in mangrove aboveground biomass and annual litterfall. Oecologia 96(3):293-299.
- Shapiro, A.C., Trettin, C.C., Kuchly, H., Alavinapanah, S. and Bandeira, S. (2015). The mangroves of the Zambezi delta: increase in extent observed via satellite from 1994-2013. Remote Sensing 7:16504-16518.
- Simard, M., Zhang, K., Rivera-Monroy, V.H., Ross, M.S., Ruiz, P.L., Castaneda-Moya, E., Twilley, R.R., and Rodriguez, E. (2006). Mapping height and biomass of mangrove forests in Everglades National Park with SRTM elevation data. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 72(3):299- 311.
- Simard, M., Fatoyinbo, L., Smetanka, C., Rivera-Monroy, V.H., Castaneda-Moya, E., Thomas, N. and Van der Stocken, T. (2019). Mangrove canopy height globally related to precipitation, temperature and cyclone frequency. Nature Geoscience 12:40-45.
- Stringer, C.E., Trettin, C.C., Zarnoch, S.J. and Tang,W. (2015). Carbon stocks of mangroves within the Zambezi River Delta, Mozambique. Forest Ecology and Management 354:139-148.
- Zhu, Z. and Woodcock, C.E. (2012). Object-based cloud and cloud shadow detection in Landsat imagery. Remote Sensing of Environment 118:83-94.