Ag Sufiyan Abd Hamid*12 and Halim Razali2
1Faculty of Science and Natural Resources, Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Jalan UMS, 88400 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia.
2Solar Energy Research Institute, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, 43600 Bangi, Selangor, Malaysia
*Corresponding author: email@example.com
Solar energy is known as renewable and clean source of energy. This tremendous amount of energy is widely used from small portable application to gigawatt size power plant generation. It has been utilized for various off grid or standalone applications including for vehicles. However, the progress of Solar Car (SC) was unsatisfied. Unlike Hydrogen Car (HC) and Pure Electric Vehicle (PEV), there is no commercialize SC marketed yet. Many strategies contributed to the successful of HC and PEV such as supportive policy, taxation, facilities and private involvement. The main component of SC can be simplified and consists of the structure, photovoltaic (PV) module, rechargeable battery pack, electric motor and power management unit. Main issue for SC is how to match between energy require and supply. Researchers are trying to find multiple solution from various aspects. Thirty SC prototypes were developed globally by numerous parties and most of them from academic bodies or universities. The purpose of the development is for solar car racing and to break commercialization boundary. As far as technology is concern, to achieve self-powered SC is quite challenging. The nearest potential solution can be learned from HC and PEV. All these potential solutions must be balance with the other side factor and come with a cost.
KEYWORDS. Solar car; Electric vehicle; Solar energy, Standalone photovoltaic.
- Hamid, A.S.A, Ibrahim A, Mat S, Sopian K (2019) Experimental Evaluation on Large Scale Solar Dryer for Drying Natural Fiber in Malaysia. International Journal of Renewable Energy Research Vol.9(2): 598-604.
- Ibrahim A, Othman M.Y, Ruslan M.H, Mat S, Sopian K (2011) Recent advances in flat plate photovoltaic/thermal (PV/T) solar collectors. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, V15(1):352-365.
- Das S.H, Tan C.W, Yatim A.H.M (2017) Fuel cell hybrid electric vehicles: a review on power conditioning units and topologies, Renew Sustainable Energy Rev:268–91.
- Lodi C, Seitsonen A, Paffumi E, Gennaro M. D, Huld T, Malfettani S (2018) Reducing CO2 emissions of conventional fuel cars by vehicle photovoltaic roof, Transportation Research Part D 59, 313–324.
- Wilberforce T, El-Hassan Z, Khatib F. N, Al-Makky A, Baroutaji A, Carton J. G, Olabi A. G (2017) Developments of electric cars and fuel cell hydrogen electric cars, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 42, 25695–25734.
- Hasicic M, Bilic D, Siljak H (2017) Criteria for Solar Car Optimized Route Estimation, Microprocessors and Microsystems 51, 289–296.
- Sukarno K, Hamid A. S. A, Razali H, Dayou J (2017) Evaluation on Cooling Effect on Solar PV Power Output Using Laminar H2O Surface Method, International Journal of Renewable Energy Research Vol.7 No.3 1213 – 1218.
- Idris K. Popoola, Mohammed A. Gondal, T. F. Qahtan (2018) Recent progress in flexible perovskite solar cells: Materials, mechanical tolerance and stability, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 82, 3127–3151.
- Schubert M. B, Werner J. H (2006) Flexible solar cells for clothing, Material Today 9(6), 42–50.
- Fu X, Xu L, Li J, Sun X, Peng H (2018) Flexible solar cells based on carbon nanomaterials, Carbon 139, 1063 – 1073.
- Howell E, Neal D, Kieffer D (2018) Changing the paradigm of transportation: Lightweight composites used in solar car in intercollegiate competition, Reinforced Plastics Vol 62, No 4.
- Teijin supplies materials for solar car (2017) Reinforced Plastics. Vol 61, Number 5.
- Vinnichenko N. A, Uvarov A. V, Znamenskaya I. A, Ay H, Wang T. H (2014) Solar car aerodynamic design for optimal cooling and high efficiency, Solar Energy 103, 183–190.
- Kim J, Oh J, Lee H (2018) Review on battery thermal management system for electric vehicles, Applied Thermal Engineering 149, 192–212.
- Morris M, Tosunoglu S (2012) Comparison of Rechargeable Battery Technologies, ASME Early Career Technical Journal. ASME Early Career Technical Conference, ASME ECTC. November 2-3, Atlanta, Georgia USA.
- Bukhari S. A. S, Maqsood J, Baig M. Q, Ashraf S, Khan T. A (2015) Comparison of Characteristics – Lead Acid, Nickel Based, Lead Crystal and Lithium Based Batteries, 17th UKSIM-AMSS International Conference on Modelling and Simulation. DOI 10.1109/UKSim.2015.69, 2015
- Moraga N. O, Xamán J. P, Araya R. H (2016) Cooling Li-ion batteries of racing solar car by using multiple phase change materials, Applied Thermal Engineering 108, 1041–1054.
- Shi X, Pan J, Wang H, Cai H (2019) Battery electric vehicles: What is the minimum range required?, Energy 166, 352-358.
- Li L, Dababneh F, Zhao J (2018) Cost-effective supply chain for electric vehicle battery remanufacturing, Applied Energy 226, 277–286.
- Cárdenas B, Garvey S. D (2018) Load optimization for reducing the cost of an electric vehicle’s battery pack, Journal of Energy Storage 20, 254–263.
- Hoquea M. M, Hannan M. A, Mohameda A, Ayob A (2017) Battery charge equalization controller in electric vehicle applications: A review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 75, 1363–1385.
- Chi-lan C, Xiao-gang W, Yue-wei B, Yan-chun X, Kai L (2011) Key Technologies of EV Motor Drive System Design, Procedia Engineering 16, 356 – 362. 2011
- Wang W, Fu R, Fan Y (2018) Electromagnetic Parameters Matching of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor for Hybrid Electric Vehicles, IFAC papers online 51-31, 407-414.
- Ren B, Chen H, Zhao H, Yuan L (2016) MPC-based yaw stability control in in-wheel-motored EV via active front steering and motor torque distribution, Mechatronics 38, 103–114.
- Wu J, Liang J, Ruan J, Zhang N, Walker P. D (2018) Efficiency comparison of electric vehicles powertrains with dual motor and single motor input, Mechanism and Machine Theory 128, 569 – 585.
- Godfrey A. J, Sankaranarayanan V (2018) A new electric braking system with energy regeneration for a BLDC motor driven electric vehicle, International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 21, 704–713.
- Sukarno K, Hamid A. S. A, Dayou J, Makmud M. Z. H, Sarjadi M. S. (2015) Measurement of Global Solar Radiation in Kota Kinabalu Malaysia, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 10, No. 15, 6467-6471.
- Behling N, Williams M. C, Managi S (2015) Fuel cells and the hydrogen revolution: Analysis of a strategic plan in Japan, Economic Analysis and Policy 48, 204–221.